Friday, May 19, 2006

Premises Premises


A story's premise is its foundation. There are many types of premises, far too many to cover here, but look at a few examples.

On the darker side of fiction, I like this one: What happens when evil clashes with greater evil? That question by itself is too general. To get a premise for a story, add some specifics and then all kinds of interesting plot possibilities will appear. We might have a drug dealer meet a serial killer or we might see a thief try to steal from the Devil.

Here's another one. Are things what they seem? I prefer to vote no. That way I've got the element of surprise. Thus, the abusive drill sergeant is a grackle on the lawn with her hatchlings. Or, perhaps, the fireflies in the tree canopies are fairies. Or, the dog you just took in is really a werewoman (see the June issue of FSF).

The best science fiction comes from strange premises. What if the fire department's purpose was to start fires? (Read Fahrenheit451.) What if mature women from planet X would die without regular sex? (Read the Ultimatum.) Or we could get in to the hard stuff, and turn science on its head. What kind of creatures would we get if we eliminated one the nitrogen bases, say cytosine, from DNA? What if we added a new base?

Next time you read fiction, ask yourself this: What was the story's premise? If you can't answer that question, I bet you didn't like the story.

11 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Clews said...

Everything has to have a foundation, somewhere it began, is anchored, or leapt off from. Your observation/advice is sound. Now what's the premise of your post on premises? :grins:

4:42 PM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Hmmm. I'll think about this a little more.

What would you say the premise was on The DaVinci Code?

I'm struggling to read it, to be honest.

:o)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Jpatrick said...

The editing on DaVinci Code wasn't all that good. I've joked that the copy editor was full of "stet" holes.

The premise of that story is that Jesus married Mary Magdaline, they had children, and their descendents live today. You could, of course, put that in question form, which I think is more effective for crafting fiction.

Of course sometimes more than one premise makes a story. That might be true in DaVinci Code. I'm not re-reading it to find out, though.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

It's an 'all right read'. I only bought it because it was panned by my crit group and I was intrigued (plus it had a major price reduction hahaha).

Thing is, it was obviously thought good enough as it was made into a film so he can't have done that much wrong.

The beginning was too loaded with info so I skimmed quite a bit of that and it hasn't done the story any damage so far. I'm not querying anything because I missed chunks out, so this makes me wonder wtf it's doing in the book in the first place.

I'm at the bit where they get into that bloke's aeroplane with the monk to go to England. (Bloke - just proves I'm not that enthralled else I'd know the guy's name...).

I literally use that book as my falling asleep thing. I read about four pages and my eyes start drooping. It's boring - that's the word I'm looking for. Maybe that's what my crit group meant. For a book whose reviews say 'fast paced read'...makes me wonder if I'm reading the same book they did but it isn't badly written, IMO. Seen worse by better authors!

I wonder when I'll finish it. Seems like it's been on my bedside table for years.

Groan.

:O)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Jude said...

I like twists and surprises too, as long as at the end of the story or novel, the reader doesn't feel misled or it's all one big let down.

As for premises, read the opening to my new novel(on my blog). Any guesses what its premise is?!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Zinnia said...

I'm always told my material is too unique to put in a market.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Faith Bicknell said...

RYC: I do agree about Ms. Snark and not getting some of the things she says, but she does have blogs that I can relate to too.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Faith Bicknell said...

Hi again!

Sorry, misunderstood your first comment about Snark.

RYC about asking her questions or asking other writer, I totally agree with you on that. Why? I asked her a couple questions out of curiosity and received some really lame answers...

10:34 AM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Finished DaVinci, J.

What an ending full of bo**ocks!

:o)

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! http://www.baby-toys.info/usb_driver_for_blackberry_7100g.html sync blackberry call log Flat hd panel plasma tv Lavy flowers glycerine 401k contribution max Britney spears sues french insurers over reassemble faucet aerator Jack black on snl premiere

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home