Tuesday, May 30, 2006


A Romantic Dilemma


A while ago, I figured out that I needed romance in my reading diet. Don't make me explain. The answer would be arcane and dull. Can you see the problem here? I'm a guy. How am I going to get my hands on contemporary commercial romance without raising a few eyebrows?

Let me tell you what happened a few weeks ago. I went to Borders looking for a specific paranormal title. The book, a 2006 Tor release, could have been shelved in either Science Fiction or Romance or both. Not finding the book in Science Fiction, I headed for the Romance aisle.

The aisle wasn't empty. It was full of women, and what if one of them saw me looking at romance books? What if someone recognized me? Thank you for understanding my problem. I hovered between Science Fiction and Romance aisles, hoping that Romance would clear. It didn't.

"Sir, can I help you?"

An attendant had seen me. Great, I'm busted. I replied, "Uh, yes. I'm looking for a science fiction book."

"Oh, I can look it up for you," she said, heading for a computer terminal. "Do you know the title or author?"

"Uh, yes. It's The Ultimatum by Susan Kearney."

She tapped a few keys and pursed her lips. "Oh. It's in Romance." Her expression had that I want you to know I know look that you might see from a pharmacist.

I left the store with the book, feeling a little indecent. Yes, that's how it feels when a stranger learns one of my secrets.

Since then, I've figured out how to acquire contemporary romance titles undiscovered. My favorite method is to go to Wal-Mart at about 6:30 AM. The store is practically empty, and there's nobody in the book section. I get the titles I want, and then I slink over to the U-scan and pay in cash. There will come a time when Wal-Mart won't have something I want. What am I going to do then?


Also posted on Xanga.

9 Comments:

Blogger Melly said...

I feel the same way and I'm a woman.
I once went over to the romance aisle when it was deserted but after ten seconds a few guys walked by, smirking, so I quickly continued to the sci-fi aisle.
To this day I have yet to read one romance novel and my curiosity is growing. Do you recommend one to start with?

1:30 PM  
Blogger Jpatrick said...

Good question. This might be a brilliant suggestion, and it might not work for you, but Annie Proulx's The Shipping News is romance, and it won a Pulitzer. There's a lot to like about this because our protagonist isn't exactly a rippling hulk with a "chiseled chin".

Personally, I'm interested in how the genre has evolved. Two authors whose careers I'm following are Nora Roberts and Jayne Ann Krentz.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Poor you. Weird how society rules.

I'd sod it and buy the books anyway. I mean, I get funny looks as a woman buying books on real life murder. F88K 'em, I'm not asking them to read it, now am I?

:o)

9:01 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

I'm past shame.
Anyone looks at me sideways, I fix them with my cold, steel Eyes of Death.

But, you could always say -loud enough for those to hear - "I'm looking for romance books( or whatever) for my wife/mother/aunt.And I forget the title..."
Then they'll think "aw...isn't he thoughtful and nice..."

12:11 PM  
Blogger Jude said...

Funny old world isn't it? Maybe send a messenger in to do it? Pay 'em and they'll do it :-) Just guessing here.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Heck, I just snagged a romance novel (uncorrected proof version) for free from the publishing house in our building. I'm curious to give it a read, but it'll have to wait until after the historical non-fiction book about the S.S. Brother Jonathan, and the ghost story/murder mystery.

I believe in paying for books, CDs, DVDs, etc., but if you can snag a proof copy book or two from a sister company for free, before it hits the dumpster, why not?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Shit, ever hear of Amazon? Wonderful place. The reviews are helpful too.

Or...ssshhhh...eBay has loads of romance and other genres for sale. I get tons of my reading in bulk sales for cheap. It supports my habit. ;)

12:16 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, and BTW, I'm definitely curious why a guy is reading romance. I write it and would love to hear why a straight guy would read it. NOT that it's a bad thing at all - it's just unusual. Dull and arcane? Hardly! Share, man...share!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Jude said...

Jez
Have you been swallowed into the romantic book? You're not posting! Forget Who is Jess Patrick? Where is Jess Patrick? (joking :-) )

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home